It seems the 42nd Traverse wasn't quite as long as it said it was in the notes. For some reason we thought it was going to take three days. As it turned out, by 2:00pm we were in Tongariro Holiday Park drinking beer for Ken's birthday.
The walk there was nice. It was a beautiful day and you could see Tongariro, Ngauruhoe and Ruapehu very well. On the way we crossed over the Whanganui River which isn't very big here. I never knew it started this far up.
22kms is pretty much a nero day now so much discussion revolved around getting up early and beating the weather to get over the Tongariro crossing.
There is a large front coming in and weather warnings for the next couple of days. I am a bit nervous about this. I prefer to play it safe with the weather. Luke and Ken are keen though. And Silvan is from Switzerland. It could snow on him and he would just enjoy it.
- There are a myriad of ways around New Zealand's drinking laws.
- The 42nd Traverse is really short.
- Poles are handy for river crossings.
- Don't take your socks off and then knock them into the river.
- Listen to weather warnings.
Tongariro Holiday Park Map