Caught the ferry to Picton yesterday after spending a couple of weeks in Wellington relaxing at the YHA. The ferry crossing was nice, on one side of the boat at least while the other was a howling gale.
In Picton we stayed at The Villa and then caught another ferry to Ships Cove to start the Queen Charlotte track.
Ships Cove contains probably the ugliest monument I have ever seen for Captain Cook made worse by the rather nice Maori carving of Maui (maybe Kupe?) conquering the octopus that makes up the Marlborough Sounds.
The weather is great, the track is good, and the views are magnificent. The water in the sounds is very clear. Even the stream water would give Barrier a run for its money.
I had forgotten the Weka. Ratites, the lot of them. :)
- Queen Charlotte track is very easy.
- Weka's are not good. They steal everything.
- Your track pass will be checked.
- The Jugglers Rest is also a very nice place to stay in Picton.
- Beware of pubic holidays. There isn't a post office in Picton so you have to send things at the supermarket but the postal counter is closed on public holidays.
Camp Bay Map