Riot is an open, private and secure messenger application built with Matrix that allows you to chat, exchange files, make voice or video calls and conference. It also allows you to bridge other networks as well so you can use the Matrix ecosystems to talk in an IRC room as well.
To install Riot messenger on Kubuntu 20.04 open Konsole and type,
sudo apt install -y wget apt-transport-https sudo wget -O /usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg https://packages.riot.im/debian/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg] https://packages.riot.im/debian/ default main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/riot-im.list sudo apt update sudo apt install riot-desktop
Pressing enter after each line is input. You may also have too authenticate with your password and answer some questions. After installation Riot can be found in the Application Menu under Applications/Internet or by selecting the menu and typing its name.
If you want to set up Riot to use the KDE server the instructions can be found here.
- Fully managed Slack Bridging lets EMS customers bring their Slack users straight into the open Matrix network
- EMS is now providing hosting for a fully managed bridge for text-based conversations in Discord.
- The first week of 2021 has sped the adoption of decentralised real time communication.
- EMS is now providing hosting for a fully managed bridge for Telegram that supports both direct and group messaging.
- Element Matrix Services (EMS) is releasing a new service to help organisations migrate from Slack to Element.
- The Digital Markets Act is pushing interoperability between messaging apps; it's a major win for consumers.
- Element's DPO has outlined a number of steps we’ve been taking to ensure that the data of our customers remain protected in every Brexit scenario.
- We’re publishing the Element public roadmap in a new public repository and project board that anyone can access.
- Native Matrix connectivity for Gitter is a proof point for interoperability between messenger apps.
- BWI and Bundeswehr launches Matrix-based communications platform, BwMessenger.