Riot is an open, private and secure messenger application built with Matrix that allows you to chat, exchange files, make voice or video calls and conference. It also allows you to bridge other networks as well so you can use the Matrix ecosystems to talk in an IRC room as well.
To install Riot messenger on Kubuntu 20.04 open Konsole and type,
sudo apt install -y wget apt-transport-https sudo wget -O /usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg https://packages.riot.im/debian/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg] https://packages.riot.im/debian/ default main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/riot-im.list sudo apt update sudo apt install riot-desktop
Pressing enter after each line is input. You may also have too authenticate with your password and answer some questions. After installation Riot can be found in the Application Menu under Applications/Internet or by selecting the menu and typing its name.
If you want to set up Riot to use the KDE server the instructions can be found here.
- Element has raised $30M of Series B funding, led by Protocol Labs and Metaplanet. Automattic and Notion Capital are also participating in the round.
- A guide to on-premise alternatives as Skype for Business Server nears End of Life.
- Element Matrix Services now offers fully managed bridges for both Microsoft Teams and Slack. Connect Element to both, and you can integrate Slack and Microsoft Teams via Matrix.
- We’re launching Spaces— the next frontier for how to group rooms and people in Element and Matrix. Join the public beta!
- On the open Matrix network, possibilities for academia are endless; read our blog how education can become more accessible, inclusive and open for everyone.
- After offering bridges to Discord, Slack and Telegram, Element Matrix Services (EMS) is now launching Microsoft Teams Bridging.
- We’ve launched a brand new version of Element, called Element Home!
- We’re very proud to have sponsored FOSDEM this year, and to have had extra skin in the game by helping FOSDEM go virtual.
- Hi all,At 2021-01-29 at 21:35 UTC Google suspended Element from the Play Store without warning or notification. We submitted an appeal asking for clarification at 23:18, and at 05:31 received a generic update from the Google Play Policy team citing that the app has been removed
- Fully managed Slack Bridging lets EMS customers bring their Slack users straight into the open Matrix network