Amarok was for many years the standard when it came to music players both on KDE and Linux in general. Truth be told I haven’t used it for many years as I have preferred Clementine but after installing Kubuntu 18.04 again I thought I would give it a go again and it is really quite good.
- Scripts – Enhance your Amarok experience with community developed scripts.
- Dynamic Playlists – Create playlists that automatically update based on complex, but easy to use, constraints. e.g., tracks from around the year 1967
- Context View – Customize the supplemental information related to your music with the Plasma powered Context View.
- PopUp Dropper – Simplify drag and drop actions with the revolutionary PopUp Dropper menu system.
- Multiple Language Translations – Enjoy Amarok in your native language, with over 45 community contributed translations.
- Cross Platform – Thanks to Qt4 and KDE4 technologies you can run Amarok on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- Collection Management – Organizing your music collection has never been easier with Amarok’s powerful tagging, renaming, and sorting abilities.
- Database Importing – Import your iTunes or old Amarok 1.4 database and keep your playcounts, statistics, and scores.
- Scriptable Services – Integrate other web services into Amarok with community developed services. Here are just a few: Greek Radio Streams, and NPR.
- Bookmarking – Mark positions in tracks to come back and listen to later. Automatic bookmarking will ensure you can pick up where you left off in that podcast or audio book
- File Tracking – Move your music files around or rename them and don’t fear! Amarok will keep track of the files. Your statistics and playlists are safe.
- Audio CDs – Play your Audio CDs in Amarok, and use the Copy to Collection feature to easily rip them to your local collection.
To install Amarok on KDE neon or Kubuntu 18.04, open Konsole and type,
sudo apt install amarok
After installation, Amarok can be found in the Application Menu under Applications/Multimedia or by typing Amarok into the search box at the top of the menu.